Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Anamorphosis: Understanding a Form of Art




Anamorphosis was a kind of art that was popular around the 1600 and 1700's. It is a distortion of an image in which the viewer can only optically see it correctly from a certain view point.



Photo credit: http://wiki.bennington.edu/wiki/DRAWING

This is a modern example of a corrdor painted in the anamorphic manner.

I want to find out more about anamorphosis and the different ways the images can be seen by using mirrors or just by the correct vantage point. I want to see if the different ways the images were rendered was for special purposes besides just entertaining the viewer. I plan on researching and reading other's articles and journals; whether it be another art historian or someone just as interested in anamorphic art. I will share my thoughts about my research and ideas I come across here and try to form an opinion about why it was used in most situations.

As an art historian myself this subject is fascinating to me. Seeing how an art form that originated in the 16th century is still relevant today is something I find quite interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment